Dakar success spawns special top Hilux
Toyota has released the Legend 45, a version of its Hilux bakkie that commemorates the 45th anniversary of the iconic best-selling truck and to celebrate second place in the 2015 Dakar Rally.
Toyota says it's a fitting tribute to the rallying prowess of Giniel de Villiers and Dirk von Zitzewitz who pulled off a class win (T1 Petrol) and an overall second place in January 2015 Dakar. Other South African-assembled Hilux units also enter the rally and they too did well.
In keeping with its flagship status, the Hilux Dakar treatment is applied to all Legend 45 models, with half of Legend production converted to Dakar models for three-months.
Glenn Crompton, vice-president for marketing, explained: "The new model was inspired by the extreme performance of the world's most gruelling motorsport event where toughness is not just a pay-off line but a prerequisite. People buy Hilux as a workhorse... a family vehicle... or as a mixture of both.
"Customers arer attracted by its renowned ruggedness as well as its car-like comfort. The Hilux Dakar delivers the best of both worlds."
Playing to purposefulness of the design, the Hilux Dakar differs from the Legend 45 as follows:
• Two-tone polished tubular stainless-steel nudge bar with a matt black cross bar and official "Dakar" decal
• Two-tone stainless-steel, tubular load-bay styling bar with matt black cross plate and "Dakar" decal (styling bar optional on Legend 45)
• Standard load-bed cover in black (optional on Legend 45)
• Two-tone tubular stainless-steel rear step/bumper
• Dark grey 17" alloy rims
• Exterior mirror cladding and door handles in glossy black finish
• Two-tone grille with chromed border and glossy black slats
• B pillar - black-out finish as opposed to body colour
• Unique official Dakar decal on the front nudge bar, front doors, styling bar and tailgate
• Full black interior leather with red stitching (the Legend 45 has black leather with silver accents)
Other features include: Electronic aircon; auto light-sensing headlights; display audio system with Bluetooth, touch-screen with reversing monitor; cruise control and multi-function steering-wheel. Safety spec includes six crash bags, anti-lock brakes and stability control.
PRICES (RB=raised body)
Hilux 2.7 VVTi RB Dakar - R315 100
Hilux 3.0 D-4D RB Dakar - R361 600
Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4X4 Dakar - R419 600
3.0 D-4D RB Dakar - R393 100
3.0D-4D 4X4 Dakar - R451 400
Hilux 2.7 VVTi RB Dakar - R396 700
Hilux 4.0 V6 RB Dakar a/t - R472 500
Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Dakar a/t - R558 200
Hilux 2.5 D-4D RB Dakar - R431 800
Hilux 3.0 D-4D RB Dakar - R459 200
Hilux 3.0 D-4D RB Dakar a/t - R473 300
Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4X4 Dakar - R518 400
Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4X4 Dakar a/t - R532 700